Jacked from Chantz
"
Rest in Peace Conrado Barba.
By Ben Aguirre Jr.
The Argus
Posted: 03/25/2009 07:08:56 AM PDT
Updated: 03/25/2009 06:46:28 PM PDT
UNION CITY — Agnes Barba sits in her family's
living room saying good things about her 21-year-
old son, Justin.
To her left is a makeshift trophy case displaying his
accomplishments through the years: dozens of
trophies for participation in baseball, basketball,
football, soccer and wrestling.
On the wall to Agnes' right is a bullet hole, a
reminder that her son's life was cut short just hours
earlier.
"I don't know why this happened," she said through
tears Wednesday morning. "I don't know why this is
happening to me. ... I can't believe what's going on."
Agnes, her family and friends were grieving
Wednesday after the death of her son, Coronado
Justin Barba II, one of two people shot in the family's
Horner Street garage about 8:15 Tuesday night.
Barba was shot in the back and died in his brother's
arms, while a 19-year-old Hayward man was hit as
many as five times in both legs, relatives said.
The Hayward man was in a hospital Wednesday,
recovering from wounds that police said are not
life-threatening.
Two other people, including Justin Barba's 19-year-
old brother, Josh, were in the garage when a
gunman opened fire on the group. Neither of them
was hurt.
Relatives said the gunman, wearing a dark hooded
sweatshirt, crept up on the open garage and began
firing. They said they heard as many as 10 shots.
At least one bullet struck Justin, police said. One
bullet also struck a refrigerator, another hit the
dryer and one pierced the back wall, whizzing past
the living room couch where Justin's father had been
sitting, Agnes Barba said.
Investigators returned to the crime scene
Wednesday morning to speak with relatives and to
retrieve two more bullets that the family recovered
earlier in the day.
Phil Rozario, one of Justin Barba's uncles, said he
pulled a bullet out of the dryer and found another
on the ground under a pile of clothing in the
garage. By all accounts, Justin Barba was a good,
quiet man, probably not the intended target of a
gunman. He grew up in Union City, and attended
Alvarado Middle School and James Logan High
School before enrolling in the Universal Technical
Institute in Arizona, where he trained to be an auto
mechanic.
"When he went out (to Arizona), I went with him,"
said Andrea Icban, Justin's girlfriend of six years.
The two had been a couple since high school, but
friends much longer. "We talked about opening a
diner and a (auto) shop," she said, fighting back
tears. Justin has been employed as a mechanic at a
local car dealership for more than a year and on
Tuesday, he intended to visit Icban, who said she
http://www.insidebayarea.com/fdcp?1238048436025
1 of 2 3/25/09 11:20 PM
Advertisement
was not feeling well and stayed at home.
"When he got off work, he called me and told me
that he'd bring dinner and we'd watch a movie, but
he wanted to get his hair cut and take a shower
first," Icban said.
When Justin got home, he joined his brother and
two friends in the garage. Justin's brother, who
relatives said is a barber, cut his hair.
"He just got his hair cut and got up (from the seat)
when he was shot," Barba's mother said.
On Wednesday, clumps of freshly cut hair remained
on the garage floor amid clusters of clothing soaked
in blood. The chair in which Justin sat had a bullet
hole in it.
"He was a very good person," Rozario said. "He was
quiet, always kept to himself."
Icban said she and Justin loved Las Vegas and had
plans to go there to celebrate their birthdays. Barba
would have been 22 in April. Authorities on
Wednesday said they still were investigating and had
not established a motive. Anyone with information
may call police at 510-471-1365."
There were 3 things I remember most about you. Even though I didn't know you that well, I still will always remember. First thing was when Randy and I first started going out, I thought you didn't like me cos he was always with me and I felt bad, but then this one day you said "Ay Bernie, watch out, after you go out with Randy, You'll turn gay." Hahah second, was when you were eatting a sandwich and I took pictures and made it into a little video. 3rd was when I almost got into a fight with Taylor, when he yelled at me "I ain't afraid to hit a girl." and I yelled at him back saying "Then hit me!" and you and all the guys were laughing cos he was hella getting mad and then Juan hella stood behind me and said "hit her and see what happens." He shutted up and everyday you kept telling me, "just get him mad, its hella funny just get him mad" hahaha We had auto for like 2 hours and you were actually getting shit done and me and the other dudes were just in the back crackin jokes in the tool room. Dang man, hard to believe, and I just seen you a couple days ago at TapEx....
My prayers will go out to the Barbas. You're in a better place now...
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
RIP Conrado Justin Barba
Posted by Bernadette Ong at 2:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment